Our professionals have represented government agencies, trade
associations, and U.S. and international businesses on a variety of antitrust and consumer protection matters, as well as complex business disputes.
Our professionals have represented U.S. and international
clients on a range of high-profile antitrust disputes, including:
- Represented a state agency before the Federal Trade Commission, and in its
appeal of the Commission's decision to the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a for-profit licensing service and a national trade association in
antitrust litigation against a trade association regarding alleged monopolization of professional examination services.
- Advised an importer in developing a unilateral price-setting policy in
compliance with U.S. federal and state antitrust requirements.
- Successfully defended a North Carolina business in alleged vertical
restraints of trade litigation regarding distribution of the client’s products in foreign markets.
- Represented a fixed-base operator at a regional airport in antitrust and
Section 1983 claims against the local government and airport authority, and private competitors.
- Represented a developer in antitrust, unfair trade, and Section 1983
litigation against a consortium of eight banks and a local government.
- Assisting clients in addressing the risks associated with the N.C. Unfair and
Deceptive Trade Practices Act, as well as litigation arising under the Act. Businesses of all sizes operating in North Carolina should be aware of the contents of this Act, as a violation of it can
result in treble damages and attorneys' fees.
Our leadership and
Our attorneys have written articles, chapters, and books on
antitrust law and unfair business practices, including:
- The U.S. chapters of Comparative Law of Monopolies (Kluwer,
- The U.S. chapter of Competition Law in Western Europe and the
USA (Kluwer Law, 2012);
- North Carolina Unfair Business Practices (LexisNexis, 2012); and
- The North Carolina chapter of Legal Aspects of Doing Business in
North America (Juris, 2011).
Additionally, our attorneys have taught antitrust law and trade
regulation classes at several local law schools, and chaired the North Carolina Bar Association's sections on administrative, antitrust, and international law.